A recent power cable burn out near the local transformer in my living area caused a power problem that ended up frying most of my power adapters at home – so it made me take down that spares box I’d forgotten for a good 4 years about.
Within that I found an old router+modem hardware I’d purchased years ago and forgotten all about – a Belkin F7D1401 v1, with its power adapter. Ecstatic about having an alternative route to get back on the internet than having to travel a bit to get a fixed adapter for the existing one, I promptly tried to setup the router to connect to my ISP.
Upon initial startup and connect, I received an IP of the form 169.254.x.x which basically would indicate the router not having actually assigned me an IP, such that my own machine had to do it. After a bit of fiddling I got over this by holding the router’s reset button for about 15 seconds instead of the immediate click-and-release reset. After the hard-reset the router was able to assign my devices its expected range of 192.168.2.x addresses.
The rest was a breeze and the router was promptly serving me worthless social media pages in no time. All smooth except, occasionally but not quite randomly, the internet link would go down and reconnect, making browsing a frustrating activity.
In looking at the System Log on the router, I noticed messages appear in the form of “ADSL Media Down !“, having about 14 seconds of pauses in services before it attempts a PPPoE reconnect (which can take a few additional seconds too). In looking over the web for others having this problem, I couldn’t come to a solution – some only had this problem during the evenings and attributed it to their ISP doing strange stuff then, others had delved down the path of noise increasing in lines during nights, etc. – fun reading for sciences but no real solution. I did not suspect my ISP as I’d know if the line really had a gap in service long enough to cause a reconnect – and monitoring for that revealed no such fact.
I did do a firmware upgrade to the v2 version available on the Belkin website for the router after I had begun using it, and felt that was to blame but there had to be a workaround, some function that is incorrectly reinitialising the router and on a schedule at that.
I found the culprit in my case – the router had a “Reinitialise Automatically” function enabled in it, set to do so to maintain the router’s efficiency by clearing up the memory periodically and the period was set to a proper 3 AMs every Tuesday. Not taking its word for it, and finding about only the second such schedule based function configuration in the UI, I disabled it and BAM! problem solved. Haven’t had connection resets since. My city’s periodic power outages will take care of the router reboots instead, thank you.