Harsh J

Memoirs of a QWERTY Keyboard

OpenSuSE 10.2

7 comments

This distro is very very cool, apart from getting rid of the YaST slowdown effect in 10.1 this one really impressed me with its out of the box flash, java and opera support. And all I needed for MP3s to play was a libxine1 package from Packman. Adding libdvdcss2 and w32codecs-all solved the rest of the codecs issues (DVD and Windows audio etc). Its (SuSE’s) bluetooth thing in KDE is the best and easiest I’ve seen, I just connected my Nokia 6681 and it showed me a list of services I wished to use, like file transfer etc… Apart from all this, the new menu’s uber cool and worth a try for all KDE haters out there :P (I was one too)
Anyway for Linux gamers, try these:

• X-Moto – Supercool bike stunt game.
  • SuperTux – Penguins and ice blocks instead of Mario and bricks.
  • GL-117 – Easiest air combat game I’ve yet played, neat in its interface too.
  • Super TuxKart – Kart racing with animals on them. :?
  • Briquolo – Breakout clone, nice one at that.

Written by Harsh

January 21st, 2007 at 4:17 pm

Posted in Linux

Tagged with

7 Responses to 'OpenSuSE 10.2'

Subscribe to comments with RSS or TrackBack to 'OpenSuSE 10.2'.

1. OMG ads are back!!

Hmm…SuSE was the first distro I ever used and I loved it then. But for some reason Ubuntu kicks 4$$ :D. Shame though…I still have to use XP until I get broadband and download some updates/drivers :(.

Rohit

21 Jan 07 at 8:23 pm

2. It never went anywhere really :P

Ubuntu’s definitely the most easiest to set up but SuSE’s got out of box content and surprisingly, no bloat!

Harsh J

21 Jan 07 at 9:07 pm

3. Ads ?? I still don’t see any :|

And SuSE.. Umm… 10.1 was the first Distro I used. Had chosen KDE. But SuSE never was able to keep me attached to itself. Or maybe I was too dumb to figure things out.

Anyhow, later came Kubuntu. KDE again, and I was :(.

Ubuntu next… and viola !! It sure did ( and does ) rok

I ddled the SuSE 10.2 DVD ( in 1 night thanks to MTNL’s 2 MBps )
    But I need to find a replacement DVD writer to burn it. Hey Harch, is it really worth trying ?

And since i cudnt find a DVD burner, I downloaded Mandriva 07 Free and tried it Live. I was “@-)” at the AIGLX effects.

I’m yet to find a “working” method that will allow me to Tri-boot 3 different OSs.

WinXP on my SATA ( Gotta use it for VB 6.0 )

Mandriva / SuSE 10.2 on the internal IDE

and Ubuntu / x OS on my External IDE casing..

Any help ?

DJ

21 Jan 07 at 9:16 pm

4. Hmmm…

I finally managed to get a DVD burner, burnt SuSE 10.2 onto a SONY DVD and Installed it…

And you were right… its simply superb..

The looks, the 3D desktop effects are mind-blowing..

I can’t wait for my clock to strike 12:10 so I can download libxine1..

I wish there was something similar for Ubuntu… ( No not Beryl, its not stable )

DJ

4 Feb 07 at 11:30 pm

5. I found Beryl pretty stable myself. If not, there’s always Compiz you can go for.

Harsh J

4 Feb 07 at 11:33 pm

6. I installed Open Suse 10.2 too!! OMG It’s awesome!! I’ll be writting about it on my blog soon…but you’re absolutely right! And it detected every piece of hardware! Ubuntu could’nt detect my onboard display :( … Wohoo I am in love with linux again :P

Rohit

6 Feb 07 at 5:28 am

7. Ummm…

Rohit wrote:

Not really, While Ubuntu had detected all my hardware ( yeh, everything ) it had set my monitor’s Resolution to 1024 x 768 MAX.

SuSE 10.2 However set my resolution to 1280 x 1024 ( woohoo ) and has these amazing effects. Unfortunately, it still hasnt recognised my M!CR050F7 multimedia keyboard drivers and hence I have to get up everytime to lower/increase the volume for every LP song :P

Ciao