Harsh J

Memoirs of a QWERTY Keyboard

Ubuntu Package Search

6 comments

I’m so contempt with using Google that I never change this search option bar in Firefox. Never even bothered clicking it, though I know its handy for accessing Wiki or Amazon and so on but I always found it easier to type the search term in precisely and get to whatever I wish using Google.

So what I’m saying is that the default Firefox search bar looks like this with Google on:

However, did you notice this small “Ubuntu Package Search” residing under the choices in Ubuntu’s “Gutsy Gibbon” 7.10 flavor?
Change it to that one and it searches whatever package you query it at the Packages page of Ubuntu’s site. This is much better than opening Synaptic or giving an apt-cache search since Firefox is open almost the entire time my PC runs for me. :)

But there’s a catch, it searches for Package names rather than descriptions. Which is a bad thing if you don’t know what you’re looking for or what the name might be.

Written by Harsh

November 24th, 2007 at 3:28 pm

Posted in Linux

Tagged with

6 Responses to 'Ubuntu Package Search'

Subscribe to comments with RSS or TrackBack to 'Ubuntu Package Search'.

1. you changed your ‘About’…….you pushed aside CSS or already mastered it? :p

anomit

24 Nov 07 at 5:57 pm

2. Got its hang, but haven’t created anything beautiful yet. Modified, yes. You’ll see in a few days. ;)

And PHP has to wait :P

Harsh

24 Nov 07 at 6:12 pm

3. oh and btw that package search has been present in ubuntu for a long time….. I am using edgy

anomit

25 Nov 07 at 11:27 am

4. Ah ok, I’ve never dropped that down in a year? :shock:

Harsh

25 Nov 07 at 1:28 pm

5. Time flies! :-)

I also love noticing these neat little things that make life easier, especially in the active free software world. (If we keep simply using “free” in this context, people might stop first interpreting it in the material sense.)

My browser of choice in Ubuntu is Epiphany, but I did notice that search option when using Firefox. Very handy, especially if it’s somehow possible to search via name and description!

With Epiphany, one sort of needs to do a lot on their own, but just as it’s easy to create custom searches in most modern browsers, I’ve got a couple set up. At first, I wasn’t used to how Epiphany has only one text box for address and searches, but now I really like it… Type an address or search term, then if I press up after a search term it will go through Google; down and it will go to Answers.com (dictionary). On my laptop, I’ve been experimenting with a third custom search; the Ubuntu community help documentation.

(By the way, I think that the word you might’ve been looking for is “content,” as opposed to “contempt.” ;-))

I’m the same way with the Web browser, though. I recently set a girl’s PC up with Edubuntu 7.10 (previously running, or should I say “not running,” Windows 98), and her mom doesn’t have Internet access at the moment. I said “there’s a lot of stuff to do on there!” and she replies, “what could possibly be as good as the Internet?” I thought for a moment about how practically everything that I do requires (or “greatly benefits from”) Internet access, but I assured her that there was a lot of neat stuff that she wouldn’t even have imagined. Seriously, Edubuntu (with the addon software disc) is loaded!

Igloo

27 Nov 07 at 10:48 am

6. Hey, thanks for your comment! Would love to see the Community Help search feature, in case you do release a guide or an installer thingy! :)

And I too have learned all I have, from the “internets”. Though it also does waste a lot of my time. :P

Harsh