Harsh J

Memoirs of a QWERTY Keyboard

GDM: Disable the last login time message box

5 comments

This problem is very weird, and no amount of googling showed any other similar case.

I emerged GDM (along with GNOME 2.22) on my Gentoo Linux installation and after I restart to see it in effect I met with this nasty irritant:

GDM Notification

It comes each time one logs in, automatic or not, after the password is entered. Only if you click the OK button does it go ahead and proceed with the login.

After around 3 hours of madness googling for at least ONE person with a similar case or fix, I got fed up and gave up.

But the entire search time was not futile since I found this page which said that during a boot process, and after login, the /var/log/lastlog file is checked and if found, is displayed.

So I removed /var/log/lastlog and tried a re-login and amazingly enough this dialog box didn’t show up.

Thus, I added the line rm /var/log/lastlog to my GDM init.d script before its first start line and that seemed to have fixed this irritating issue, not in a good default way though, more like a counter hack.

(P.s. I made that window shot shown here, since I could not capture the screen while GDM showed it.)

Any ‘actual’ fixes to it? My DisplayLastLogin variable is already set to false in the gdm.conf, but to no effect.

Written by Harsh

April 13th, 2008 at 10:38 am

Posted in Personal

Tagged with , , , , , ,

5 Responses to 'GDM: Disable the last login time message box'

Subscribe to comments with RSS or TrackBack to 'GDM: Disable the last login time message box'.

1. Thank youvery much! This irritated the B-jesus outta me. I wish I knew the “correct way” to disable it, however, your hack works great. Thanks again!

Will

Will

13 Apr 08 at 8:49 pm

2. Whoa I didn’t expect a response this quick, but am glad to see another case indeed!

I wonder if this exists as a bug or so, lemme check.

Harsh

13 Apr 08 at 9:02 pm

3. Another workaround: comment out the ‘session optional pam_lastlo.so’ line in ‘/etc/pam.d/*’ files (works for me).
    However, of course there should be an option to disable/enable such ‘lastlogin message’ during emerging of GDM.

rogalikus

15 Apr 08 at 4:18 pm

4. Hello,qwerty!nice site of yours :D

reg,gdm lastlog and OK creepy,:
    see:

and in gdm.conf,how about adding

“# If true then the last login information is printed to the user before
    # being prompted for password. While this gives away some info on what
    # users are on a system, it on the other hand should give the user an
    # idea of when they logged in and if it doesn’t seem kosher to them,
    # they can just abort the login and contact the sysadmin (avoids running
    # malicious startup scripts)
    [b]DisplayLastLogin=false[/b] ???

Prakash

19 May 08 at 12:51 am

5. It is already added and set to False as well, I mentioned that in the post! Yet it persists, I do not know why.. :(

Harsh