Harsh J

Memoirs of a QWERTY Keyboard

Moving to Opera

14 comments

Though I did move to opera as I’d said in my earlier post, I missed the extensibility of Firefox that I had much used. I had used the following extensions usually on Firefox:

Off the list, I do not care much about Adblock Plus or Google Gears except for the fact they made browsing easy to look at and faster respectively. Can do without them. (I know Opera has a way of blocking too, but am not interested in blocking ads for a while now, maybe when I get irritated by them again.). And Stylish like features is obviously well built into Opera, so 3 tasks done by default.

Coming to Gmail Manager and FireFTP, for Gmail Manager I looked for desktop packages called kcheckgmail and other widgets but some refused to work while the other required a dependency I was not willing to install. As always when this happens I headed to Qt-Apps and got myself QGmailNotifier. Built it with a [qmake - make and make install] and I was ready to launch qgmailnotifier and work well it did. Qt applications always ftw for me! For FireFTP, the existing Dolphin and Konqueror of my KDE sufficed. I created an FTP folder for my site and a WebDAV one for SourceForge and it were done, again too simply. ;)

The only thing missing now is a notifier for Google Reader. Maybe I’ll look into sources of some widgets and combine it with QGmailNotifier. But I guess that’d have to wait. Could there be an alternative way?

No Opera widgets please, they are just not how I need it. It has to be either a desktop tray software or a notifier within the browser in some toolbar as an icon.

Written by Harsh

August 5th, 2008 at 11:54 am

14 Responses to 'Moving to Opera'

Subscribe to comments with RSS or TrackBack to 'Moving to Opera'.

1. Admit it! You compromised with the ads and stuff :P

Sandeep

5 Aug 08 at 4:41 pm

2. Yeah, my processor being the cause :P

Harsh

5 Aug 08 at 4:49 pm

3. Harsh,
    I am using firefox with KDE 4.1 in Kubuntu hardy release. It works fine and once firefox 3 is installed install the theme in the provided url below:
    It should work fine and also you need not miss firefox. :)

Shivaranjan

5 Aug 08 at 9:17 pm

4. Erm, I’ve been there and done all that. But its the performance that is the issue, not GTK or anything else. My processor just can not handle Firefox’s requirements well enough now. Opera works faster for reasons unknown even to me, and thus my current choice.

Harsh

5 Aug 08 at 9:41 pm

5. Now I want an honest answer… is opera really lighter than firefox or not?

Aditya

6 Aug 08 at 12:35 am

6. Don’t care about RAM usage but it is far more responsive than Firefox 3, without any doubts.

Harsh

6 Aug 08 at 6:37 am

7. Hmm… I see that your ancient P4 is the problem… How much RAM do you have?

Well it runs fine in mine may be due to C2D E8400 and 4GB of RAM. :-D

Shivaranjan

6 Aug 08 at 1:13 pm

8. Well Opera is better… :-D as I am an Opera Fan… :-D

Shivaranjan

6 Aug 08 at 1:14 pm

9. I got a gigabyte of RAM, but Firefox packs in a lot of power for my P4 to handle without cutting away other demanding applications. Opera is slightly better at this, while sometimes not processing a page at the maximum possible rate when out of focus.

Harsh

6 Aug 08 at 6:30 pm

10. more than ads, it’s rich text copy/pasting ability. you have been warned. see here.

sindhu

6 Aug 08 at 9:40 pm

11. Ah nice to know about that, but I don’t usually get a need for it so its ok, thanks for informing about that! :)

Harsh

6 Aug 08 at 9:47 pm

12. yeah Opera is lighter on resources but Firefox for some serious moments.

Btw I use both to test page renderings and removing bugs but FF for usual browsing.

T

14 Aug 08 at 5:04 pm

13. Bit of a late reply, but KDE 4 + Firefox is a disaster. Everything crawls, even on my Core2Duo T5250 + 2GB RAM + nVidia 8600m GT. Dun no why. The situation is lot better with KDE 4.1 but not good enough.

Sathya

27 Aug 08 at 9:38 am

14. Sathya – Follow this guide, it’d ensure KDE4 on your 8 series card is more fun than usual :)

Also, I dared trying KDE4 only post 4.1 release. 4.0 is bad, don’t use it. It’d be completely usable only after 4.3 or so, like in previous releases…

Harsh