Harsh J

Memoirs of a QWERTY Keyboard

Using the BSNL 3G Data Card on Linux

64 comments

This article shall detail the steps to setup, configure and begin using the Huawei E156 HSDPA (3G) USB Stick on Linux (fondly called by them BSNL employees as a ‘Data Card’).

On Windows, one generally uses the bundled ‘Huawei Mobile Partner’ software which does wonderful things like read messages, compute statistics, etc. There isn’t a similar software on Linux providing all of those under one roof, however.

First off, you need to create a BSNL 3G dialer profile, and you would require a software known as wvdial. Install it by either of these commands, in the Terminal application:

# On Ubuntu
sudo aptitude install wvdial

# On ArchLinux
sudo pacman -S wvdial

Now as root (or using sudo), open the file: /etc/wvdial.conf

# If you use GNOME, try:
sudo gedit /etc/wvdial.conf

# If on KDE, try:
sudo kwrite /etc/wvdial.conf

Paste into your editor, the following lines:

[Dialer bsnlnet]
Modem Type = Analog Modem
Phone = *99#
ISDN = 0
Baud = 460800
Username = " "
Password = " "
Modem = /dev/ttyUSB0
Init1 = ATZ
Init2 = at+cgdcont=1,"ip","bsnlnet"
Stupid Mode = 1

Save the changes and close the editor. Now to get connected, you have to ask the wvdial command to start a particular connection. So simply do, on each startup:

wvdial bsnlnet

And lo, you’re online with blazing 3G speeds!

Note: You may be supposed to use a different APN like bsnlsouth sometimes (instead of bsnlnet or etc.), so change that in the highlighted line.

Written by Harsh

March 22nd, 2010 at 9:49 am

64 Responses to 'Using the BSNL 3G Data Card on Linux'

Subscribe to comments with RSS or TrackBack to 'Using the BSNL 3G Data Card on Linux'.

1. Was wondering whether there is nation wide roaming using that card.
    It there is, BSNL can consider one sold! :)

abhinandh

23 Mar 10 at 3:44 pm

2. Sure there is, it uses a SIM like any 3G Mobile would do. However, you may get roaming charges applied and may have to purchase a booster/different plan accordingly.

24 Mar 10 at 9:15 am

3. Hi,

what about speed ?

is it worth to buy it ?

Anil Panwar

27 Mar 10 at 7:23 pm

4. @Anil – Speed is great, I get around 3-ish at night and 2.2+ during work hours (mbps). Definitely worth buying a 3G connection from BSNL if you’re gonna use it for casual day-to-day purposes (no heavy downloads can be done on their limited plans IMO).

About the data-card, I think its better if you can tether your phone to your laptop or are comfortable using the phone itself. Both of these use cases weren’t applicable in mine and hence I had to go for the Data Card that costs INR 4343/-

27 Mar 10 at 8:57 pm

5. Gosh, sorry if I sound like a BSNL promoter. This is my only BSNL mobile connection and I’m happy cause it serves me great, that’s all of it — not getting paid for this ;)

27 Mar 10 at 9:10 pm

6. @Harsh – I can buy data card and as well as I can afford unlimited plan too, as it is for business purpose.

but I am worry speed only.

(currently I have BSNL EVDO, but not happy with speed)

Anil Panwar

27 Mar 10 at 9:55 pm

7. Price is not matter, I am looking for business purpose and can go for unlimited plan.

right now I have EVDO card and speed is not too good.

so speed is time better ?

Anil Panwar

27 Mar 10 at 10:44 pm

8. Speed is definitely good, I’ve tested it at outer districts of my city as well. Wherever BSNL claims it has a coverage, you should get great 3G download speeds.

If by time you mean response time, that’s about 200ms (SpeedTest.net stats), kinda low for gaming.

28 Mar 10 at 8:37 am

9. Hi I am trying to use BSNL 3G USB data card LW272 but not able to connect to Ubuntu 10.04 using the method you described. I get the following error in the terminal as soon as i edit and save the conf file.I tried changing the APN to gprssouth.cellone.in .( I am in Pondicherry. I am not sure this is the right APN; I got it from a site describing how to configure 3G in mobile phone)
    error: line 53087: bad flag vector alias
    error: line 53088: bad flag alias index: 0
    error: line 53088: bad flag vector alias
    error: line 53090: bad flag alias index: 0
    [snip]
    error: line 53116: bad flag alias index: 0
    error: line 53116: bad flag vector alias
    error: line 53117: bad flag alias index: 0

When i run wvdial I get this error

smithy@smithy-laptop:~$ wvdial gprssouth.cellone.in
    –> Ignoring malformed input line: “01 [Dialer bsnlnet]”
    –> WvDial: Internet dialer version 1.60
    –> Warning: section [Dialer gprssouth.cellone.in] does not exist in wvdial.conf.
    –> Cannot open /dev/modem: No such file or directory
    smithy@smithy-laptop:~$ wvdial bsnlnet
    –> Ignoring malformed input line: “01 [Dialer bsnlnet]”
    –> WvDial: Internet dialer version 1.60
    –> Warning: section [Dialer bsnlnet] does not exist in wvdial.conf.
    –> Cannot open /dev/modem: No such file or directory

Can you please help ? I was able to connect to aircel network by connecting sonyericsson mobile phone via data cable after installing wvdial.I uninstalled wvdial and reinstalled it but no use.

Deepak

13 May 10 at 7:06 pm

10. Hello Harsh,

sound good article.

I have the tata indicom connection but it is very slow speed.

now BSNL launch 3G data card upto 3.6 mbps wireless connection.

i want to buy this USB but fear is only that speed?

is really we get the speed, price is not important me if i get such really good speed at least 1-2 mbps as they are offering 3.6 mbps (as per advertisement in pune)

so can i go for it???

really looking your feedback

Thanks,
    Vishnu U

Vishnu Ugale

29 Jun 10 at 2:02 am

11. Hi Harsh,
    I tried your method to use my bsnl 3g datacard, and everything works perfectly, except that when I run the wvdial bsnlnet command i get invalid number, username and password. I would be very grateful if you could help me out with my problem. I am currently using a dual boot system with both windows XP and Linux Mind 9.
    By the way I live in Ooty and I have 3g connectivity here.

Regards,
    Rex Fernando.

Rex

30 Jun 10 at 4:39 pm

12. Hi Harsh,

cggaurav@ubuntu:~$ wvdial bsnlnet
    –> WvDial: Internet dialer version 1.60
    –> Cannot open /dev/ttyUSB0: No such file or directory
    –> Cannot open /dev/ttyUSB0: No such file or directory
    –> Cannot open /dev/ttyUSB0: No such file or directory
    cggaurav@ubuntu:~$

Gaurav

8 Jul 10 at 6:37 am

13. HI,

I have bought Huawei 3G modem as well as BSNL 3G prepaid SIM too.

I made a recharge of 1100 INR too.

but from that day, it is not showing network as well as it works in EDGE mode only.

I have BSNL mobile, here network is working excellent too.

what step should be taken ?

Anil Panwar

8 Jul 10 at 10:28 am

14. @Gaurav – Plug in your device and paste the output of “dmesg | tail” please?

8 Jul 10 at 2:07 pm

15. @Vishnu – I still get good speeds but as I’ve said, its area dependent. Give it a test run in your exchange before getting it.

8 Jul 10 at 2:09 pm

16. @Rex – Can you tell me what you were instructed to do for Windows connection?

@Deepak – Paste your wvdial.conf file at pastebin.com and pass me a link please?

8 Jul 10 at 2:44 pm

17. Hello Harsh,

Thanks for reply….

Hey i have one another issue….
    I have already tata indicom wirless usb connection having speed 153 kbps…..

when i connect it using Gnome PPP OR wvdial….it gives me speed only 6-14 kbps….i contacted customer care but not get useful info…in my area signal are good…

to open any webpage it take the too much time..i am getting frustrated for this connection and tata indicom services…..

what can i do….is there any setting in ubuntu….so speed up?? any thing else option in my hand….

looking your positive reply…

Thanks
    Vishnu U

Vishnu

10 Jul 10 at 11:12 am

18. Hi Harsh, thanks for the reply. I did not have to do anything for windows. As soon as I plugged the device into the USB port I got the new hardware installation wizard and installed it. After that every time I plug in the device, it is self recognised and opens up. Another thing, in the settings tab for the application, the number is *99#, the username and password are blank, and the APN is bsnlnet.

Regards,
    Rex

Rex

11 Jul 10 at 3:59 pm

19. due to sudden load-setting my comp was shut down and linux file system has corrupted and because i am using BSNL data card so at boot time net cannot be connected (safe mode) and fsck command not found so my system file can not be checked so what i do now?
    Please help me!

irfan

17 Jul 10 at 1:21 pm

20. Hello Harsh,

Problem with using bsnl 3g data card in linux and windows:-

Initilly I used bsnl 3g data card in windows 7.It worked fine.
    But when I installed the software(Air Join- it comes with data card itself) in Suse 11 (Linux) .It could not detect signal afterward.
    There after it did not even worked with windows 7.

I checked it with other system running windows xp.It is working fine.

What is the problem.Please suggest me the solution to
    solve the problem.

hitendra

17 Jul 10 at 7:56 pm

21. I did as you have suggested. When I run wvdial it seems to suggest that the connection is established successfully. But when I open the browser, it does not connect. Do you have any idea on what could be going wrong?

Anupama

20 Jul 10 at 12:04 pm

22. Recently my datacard bsnl3g not working always giving the message your connection terminated eventhough i have paid Rs.274.00 monthly

E.V.Subhasbabu

27 Jul 10 at 2:36 pm

23. Harsh, this is my output!

[ 100.269676] scsi 5:0:0:0: CD-ROM HSPA USB SCSI CD-ROM 2.31 PQ: 0 ANSI: 2

Can anybody help me

I am getting error 619: A connecion to remote computer cannot be established

I am using huawei E156 device

hari

28 Aug 10 at 5:51 pm

25. Hi,
    I am unable to connect my Micromax MMX 372G modem to internet in LinuxMint (Ubuntu). I did install usb modeswitch and wvdial. After flipping it with mmodeswitch i did write command
    sudo modprobe usbserial vendor=0x05c6 product=0×9000
    and then Wvdialconf. When I try to connect it, it doesn’t connect it at all.
    any help will be appreciated.

Harinder

2 Sep 10 at 5:36 pm

26. I have bought BSNL data card for 2500 inr, they have mentioned as it will support on Ubuntu, I got Suse linux 11. I have tried to install the setup.exe using wine, though i got the modem settings, i am not able to connect to the network, it pop-up some error message, is there any way to use this data card on my suse linux.

Thanks in advance.

Karthik

21 Sep 10 at 7:19 am

27. BSNL 3g sucks. I am leaving at Pashan in pune and it show download speed is around 15 to 22 KBPS. Please do not waste your money in such bad product. BSNL EVDO is much better then 3g.

Satya

21 Sep 10 at 6:30 pm

28. use IDM satya

jals

6 Oct 10 at 6:11 pm

29. Harsh, can you please respond to Gaurav? I am getting same error. dmesg | grep -e “modem” -e “tty” tells me that my modem should be on tty0 but when written that in the config file, wvdial gives a message tty0 permission denied. This is now getting on my nerves, but I shall not shift back to XP!

Ojas

7 Oct 10 at 8:35 am

30. @Ojas – You get that when run with root permissions too? You could add your user to the modem group and check, perhaps?

10 Oct 10 at 10:18 am

31. Hi harsh,
    I am using BSNL data card LW272(teracom) on my Ubuntu 10.10,the data card comes with a piece software that could get install as per LW272 user manual .Everythings works fine but i couldn’t browse because of no network connection.I installed
    i) wvdial
    ii) libxplc
    iii) pppdcapiplugin
    and tried again in vain.
    i am new to Ubuntu and have no knowledge on jargons like wvdial etc ,can you post a note on how to configure this.

ganesh

21 Oct 10 at 1:03 pm

32. I have a “P4-1.7 GHz – 512 MB RAM – Win XP SP1 and Ubuntu 10.10? system. Will this configuration support BSNL 3G data connection?
    Kindly reply ASAP!

Sarwan

8 Nov 10 at 4:09 pm

33. hello harsh…
    i am using micromax BSNL MMX310G USB modem on my win 7.
    i am using BSNL 3g sim but convert 2g then recharge 175.1 month speed stayed 100-200kbps but now(6th nov) speed 12-21kbps.any trick how increse my data card speed.

Titas

10 Nov 10 at 8:33 pm

34. Thanks man It worked on Oracle Unbreakable Linux

Deba

11 Nov 10 at 10:37 am

35. @Sarwan – It will. All you need is a connection mechanism.

@Titas – I don’t do tricks, sorry :)

@Deba – Welcome :)

@ganesh – Installing them is not enough, you need to “setup” your dialer (which is what wvdial is, a dialer program for modems). My small article above details this exact thing :)

12 Nov 10 at 6:05 pm

36. even after entering wvdial command its unable to detect it .. says no modem found ..please help me out

afzal khan

12 Nov 10 at 7:35 pm

37. can u please give me any contact no so that i can solve the whole thing at one time pleasee help me

afzal khan

12 Nov 10 at 7:50 pm

38. Hi harsh,
    Does Huwei data card automatically select 3G network? Or unlike ZTE modems do we need software for selecting the network mode?

I see you’re getting great speed, but just confirming before I purchase a data card for ubuntu 10.10! :)

Anand

18 Nov 10 at 10:12 am

39. hi harsh SIR,
    thanks alot for such a informative article, i am new on ubuntu and my life is being extremely tough on ubuntu without internet connecton, PLZ PLZ help…

i have 372g micromax datacard that i use for bsnl 3g..
    assuming me a newbie without a internet connection..
    plz give me procedure to connect my micromax 3g,
    IF THE SAME METHOD IS APPLIED THAT YOU MENTIONED ABOVE OR OTHER, WAITNG FOR YOUR REPLY..
    THANKYOU

atul

19 Nov 10 at 10:08 pm

40. @Anand – It automatically selects the 3G network :)

@atul – Try it; its not much of a card-dependent procedure.

20 Nov 10 at 11:06 am

41. thanks for reply harsh..
    when i tried to install wvdial in ubuntu 10.10 .. (it said package missing error).. plz help

atul

20 Nov 10 at 12:30 pm

42. @atul – I believe it exists as per this page: http://packages.ubuntu.com/maverick/wvdial

Update your repository lists and try again via

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install wvdial

But of course, you can also download it to do an offline install in case you aren’t online in Ubuntu.

20 Nov 10 at 8:16 pm

43. thanx alot for the reply harsh, as per your link now installed wvdial package, but now i have another issue..
    when i enter your next line of code
    sudo gedit /etc/wvdial.conf

it says.. (gedit is not recognised as your internal or external command) what should i think now.. another package miss or else.. if so where will i get this package plz help

atul

20 Nov 10 at 11:22 pm

44. hie harsh, i did everything as per your instruction.. but at final when i type..
    wvdial bsnl, it comes with the following message

atul@atul-home:~$ wvdial bsnlnet
    –> Ignoring malformed input line: “01 [Dialer bsnlnet]”
    –> WvDial: Internet dialer version 1.60
    –> Warning: section [Dialer bsnlnet] does not exist in wvdial.conf.
    –> Cannot open /dev/modem: No such file or directory
    –> Cannot open /dev/modem: No such file or directory
    –> Cannot open /dev/modem: No such file or directory
    atul@atul-home:~$

plz help

atul

21 Nov 10 at 2:42 pm

45. i have installed 10.o4 ubuntu version.i did not install the micromax s/w.how i will run this softwre in ubuntu platform.there is no software in micromax device.what i will do?

ashish

26 Dec 10 at 3:14 pm

46. Hi Harsh

I am using BSNL 3G(Teracom).
    My modem setting is as u shown in fiqures
    The Errror I got is as

The PPP daemon has died. pppd options error (exit code = 2).

Thanks

Ravikiran Borse

26 Dec 10 at 6:50 pm

47. Hi all
    I am using BSNL 3G USB Data Card (Teracom)
    It is working well in Fedora 13(Join_Air). But in Fedora 14 it is giving me an error Link PPP0 wasn’t build.

APN : bsnlnet
    Phone : *99#
    Config Name : Any u can give.

Here is my /etc/wvdial.conf
    Auto Reconnect = off
    Check DNS = off
    Dial Attempts = 1
    Modem Type = Analog Modem

ravidborse

26 Dec 10 at 11:36 pm

48. i m using puppy linux (wary 500) so please helpme in conecting internet by using bsnl 3g teracom usb datacard…thanks in advance

jignesh

1 Jan 11 at 9:46 am

49. dear sir ,, i m arun ,, I have 7.2mbps-LW273 (BSNL-3g). The driver is installed correctly and device used to work correctly. Now, when I connect to PC, it detects the device, and gives msg ‘Sim ready’. But later gives a pop-up “No response from device. please reboot the device.” I am using XP SP2. The problem is that the device gets rebooted just after detecting the SIM. It not even searches for network. The only thing that I could do is to remove and plug it again. It is not even allowing me to try to connect to internet; device just reboots every time. ,
    bsnl3g imei /980069008287822
    s/n / 452002762855
    bsnl3gdata card mobil number ,9408713737
    my mobil number ,9726353636
    sir mene ,,4 baar branch pe aake chek karvaya lekin ,,kuch huva nahi ,, ,,woh bole ki ,mobil ke card me problem he ,,lekin dusre dongl me dal ke chek kiya to ,thik thak chal raha tha ,,,,aub problem kya he aap bata i e plz help 15din se dongl bandh he mera plz help

arun

13 Jan 11 at 12:05 am

50. mine one is not getting connected it is giving following output even after doing as directed by u . please help me customer care peoples are not at all responding and being a student i cannot afford to get a new one

-> WvDial: Internet dialer version 1.60
    –> Cannot get information for serial port.
    –> Initializing modem.
    –> Sending: ATZ
    ATZ
    OK
    –> Sending: at+cgdcont=1,”ip”,”bsnlnet”
    at+cgdcont=1,”ip”,”bsnlnet”
    OK
    –> Modem initialized.
    –> Sending: ATDT*99#
    –> Waiting for carrier.
    ATDT*99#
    CONNECT 3600000
    –> Carrier detected. Starting PPP immediately.
    –> Starting pppd at Fri Apr 1 04:32:14 2011
    –> Warning: Could not modify /etc/ppp/pap-secrets: Permission denied
    –> –> PAP (Password Authentication Protocol) may be flaky.
    –> Warning: Could not modify /etc/ppp/chap-secrets: Permission denied
    –> –> CHAP (Challenge Handshake) may be flaky.
    –> Pid of pppd: 29025
    –> Disconnecting at Fri Apr 1 04:32:15 2011
    –> The PPP daemon has died: No root priv error (exit code = 3)
    –> man pppd explains pppd error codes in more detail.
    –> I guess that’s it for now, exiting
    –> The PPP daemon has died. (exit code = 3)

gunjan parashar

1 Apr 11 at 4:35 am

51. @gunjan parashar:
    the log clearly shows that you’re not running with root privileges. Linux by default does not give all privileges. You should either add “sudo” before the wvdial command to get privileges(you’ll be asked for your user password) or you can make a switch to root before running the wvdial. Here’s what you can do

1. Using sudo:
    Type “sudo wvdial bsnlnet” and enter your root password

(OR)

2. Switch to root by typing “sudo su” (you’ll be asked for root password; if you haven’t set any in your distro, you’ll be asked for user password.
    After this, you can type “wvdial bsnlnet” to connect

Hope it helps :)

Anand

2 Apr 11 at 1:15 am

52. mine one is not getting connected it is giving following output even after doing as directed by u . please help me customer care peoples are not at all responding and being a student i cannot afford to get a new one

-> WvDial: Internet dialer version 1.60
    –> Cannot get information for serial port.
    –> Initializing modem.
    –> Sending: ATZ
    ATZ
    OK
    –> Sending: at+cgdcont=1,”ip”,”bsnlnet”
    at+cgdcont=1,”ip”,”bsnlnet”
    OK
    –> Modem initialized.
    –> Sending: ATDT*99#
    –> Waiting for carrier.
    ATDT*99#
    CONNECT 3600000
    –> Carrier detected. Starting PPP immediately.
    –> Starting pppd at Fri Apr 1 04:32:14 2011
    –> Warning: Could not modify /etc/ppp/pap-secrets: Permission denied
    –> –> PAP (Password Authentication Protocol) may be flaky.
    –> Warning: Could not modify /etc/ppp/chap-secrets: Permission denied
    –> –> CHAP (Challenge Handshake) may be flaky.
    –> Pid of pppd: 29025
    –> Disconnecting at Fri Apr 1 04:32:15 2011
    –> The PPP daemon has died: No root priv error (exit code = 3)
    –> man pppd explains pppd error codes in more detail.
    –> I guess that’s it for now, exiting
    –> The PPP daemon has died. (exit code = 3)

gunjan parashar
    1 Apr 11 at 4:35 am

gunjan parashar

2 Apr 11 at 7:55 am

53. gunjan – Run the command as root. (With a sudo prefix, say…).

2 Apr 11 at 11:03 am

54. thanks a lot sir it worked and it is giving more speed then usually it gives in gui mode i.e. join air and in windows 7. i m grateful to you

gunjan parashar

7 Apr 11 at 3:09 pm

55. @gunjan – Np. Enjoy a ‘worry free’ browsing experience.

7 Apr 11 at 3:29 pm

56. sir ur’s method is the best one but i have a query that is there’s any way to check the volume of data used as i am a student i cannot afford the unlimited plan so i have to keep track of the data volume used plz help me if there’s any way i am using linux mint 10

gunjan parashar

7 Apr 11 at 7:12 pm

57. sir i am using samsung hero 3210 3g mobile how to connect to internet via wvdial it’s working with network manager by usb connection plz help me out…
    plz….

gunjan parashar

16 Jul 11 at 1:16 am

58. Just installed puppy wary 5.1.2. For internet i have tata photon +

pl guide to connect.

Dinesh

28 Jul 11 at 4:24 pm

59. thanks harsh it worked. i had to apply some changes and some tricks, like tty0 instead, have to establish connection thru network manager and also thru command,the speed is slow and gets disconnected again n again, have to reinsert it,but at least it’s working.

piyush

4 Aug 11 at 9:17 pm

60. Hi,

I am using Micromax 400r wireless router. Its working fine in my windows OS but not in Open Suse 11.4.

Can anyone help me out to configure and run MTNL connection with Micromax 400r wireless router on Open Suse 11.4

Ankur

26 Sep 11 at 10:15 pm

61. hi harsh i wanted a little help my bluetooth in fedora 16
    it always remains disabled i have googled it but nowhere i got the problem solved plz help me out i think u can

gunjan

28 Nov 11 at 4:44 pm

62. how to edit the wvdial.conf in fedora 16 through terminal

gunjan

28 Nov 11 at 4:49 pm

63. Is the wvdial settings same when using a 2G card in 2g/3g supported data card – like huawei 171/173 etc models?

Calm

13 Mar 12 at 1:36 pm

64. harsha i need ur help in wvdial : is there’s anyway to have reduce the speed of the connection using wvdial as i use my mobile to connect to 3g internet whenevr the speed goes beyond 150 kbps it restarts is there’s any way to limit the max speed upto 50 kbps

gunjan parashar